Shoulders Of Titans Podcast Interview #040 with Ryan Blair:
Ryan Blair is self-made multimillionaire and serial entrepreneur who established his first company, 24/7 Tech, when he was twenty-one years old and has since created and actively invested in multiple start-ups.
In August 2011, Blair published the New York Times Best Seller, Nothing To Lose and Everything To Gain: How I Went From Gang Member To Multimillionaire Entrepreneur (now available in Paperback, also a #1 New York Times bestseller), an uncensored personal account of overcoming a life of adversity and a road map for entrepreneurial success through the process of reinvention, while simultaneously facing the biggest professional challenge of his career: rescuing his company, ViSalus.
Shortly after the 2008 recession and just one month from having to declare bankruptcy, Blair and his business partners personally invested in a new business model that would later revolutionize the direct selling industry. In less than three years, Ryan Blair took ViSalus from $600 million in revenue to surpassing $1 billion in total sales in March 2013. Ryan documented his path to success in his book, step by step, proving that any obstacle in business, and in life, can be overcome using survival skills and a nothing to lose mindset. Ryan has also released a behind-the-scenes account through his NOTHING TO LOSE Documentary which can be viewed online at www.NothingToLose.com.
Blair regularly appears as a business expert on national television networks such as CNBC, MSNBC, and Fox. He has also been featured in major publications including Fortune Magazine, BusinessWeek, Forbes Magazine and the Wall Street Journal. In 2012, Blair was named one of Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneurs of the Year in the category for consumer products. Blair is also a contributor for the Financial Times and Forbes.com, and took a turn in movie production serving as Executive Producer of Man in the Glass: The Dale Brown Story, an award winning documentary about the legendary LSU Basketball Coach.
Visit Ryan Blair’s Website: www.ryanblair.com
Topics Discussed In This Interview:
- How to skip the startup-phase of a company using a “Business-Within-A-Business Model” and jump right into the scaling phase
- The amazing “Wall Street Ritual” that’s turned thousands of broke people into millionaires (and hundreds of millionaires into billionaires) since the late 1880s
- How to make a deal with God and make an unholy amount of money… almost instantly – based on Ryan’s real-life story
- The single greatest piece of IPO advice ever revealed on a podcast. WARNING: The truth may cause you sleepless nights and make you question everything you know about taking a company public
- The dirty-little-secret to persuading big-name mentors and celebrities to schedule a private meeting with you… once you start sharing your success stories using this technique, get used to comments like: “Wow! You’re so inspiring!”
- How any “contrarian-entrepreneur” with no money, no track-record and no connections can raise a boatload of money for a tech startup in record time
- The shocking confession about high-income earners in the multi-level marketing industry – revealed by the CEO of a $790 million dollar network marketing company himself!
- How to reach impressive goals as an entrepreneur… without working any harder than at a J.O.B.
- The true meaning of success every entrepreneur must know – if you’re like 99% of people who hear this definition, you’ll have enough motivation to keep you inspired for months… or even years
- And much, much more!
Full Transcript of Interview:
- Strengths Finder – http://www.strengthsfinder.com/home.aspx
- ViSalus Sciences – http://www.vi.com/
- “The Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell
“A lot of people do entrepreneurship with an end in mind. I do not. I do entrepreneurship to create a culture of entrepreneurship within the places I participate.”
“Money follows. It doesn’t lead. Focus on other things and you’ll get the money.”
“John Wooden said: Success is having the peace of mind knowing that you’ve did your best.”
“It takes brains to make money. It takes creativity to make money. It takes everything BUT money to make money.”
“You should always prepare yourself to go public. That’s what one of my early mentors taught me.”
“You want to preserve your reputation because that’s all you got.”
“You really need to get into the details and into the weeds to really optimize a business.”
“Waste is everywhere in a company.”
“I’ve always used that approach which is sell first and build second. I hate it when entrepreneurs say: “build it and they will come.”
“I’m seeking to inspire a generation of entrepreneurship unlike any other.”
“Have a nothing to lose mindset”