Shoulders Of Titans Podcast Interview #051 with Matt Schwartz:
Dynamism. Passion. Creativity. Analytics. Innovation. These are the characteristics of an ideal marketing candidate—and they’re what keep Matt Schwartz hooked on his job.
After nearly two decades in retained executive search, Matt has an instinctive and thorough understanding of what his clients actually want. And time and again, he has been able to meet their challenges in attracting top talent.
Matt honed his technical knowledge during the 90s dot com boom. He began at Gundersen Partners, LLC, then moved to Heidrick and Struggles, where he became a principal in the Global Consumer Practice. He grew adept at finding key executives in fast-moving consumer goods, retail, fashion and luxury, sports /media and entertainment, and corporate communications.
In 2003, he founded MJS Executive Search. Despite those lean times, the new firm thrived from the start. Now, two recessions later, MJS has established itself as a leading retained executive search firm that knows how to find the right executive—even in the most unexpected places.
Matt knows when a client’s objectives are achievable—and when they are impossible. He relishes difficult searches, while setting realistic expectations.
Matt is also passionate about leading edge technologies. If it’s digital, social, new, and cool, Matt speaks the language. Not only can he interpret it, he can also leverage it to teach, inform, and most importantly, to persuade.
In this way, Matt helps his clients remain or become leaders in their realm.
Visit Matt Schwartz’s Website: www.mjsearch.com
Topics discussed in this interview:
- How to look past a candidate’s “fake, interview-mask” and read their mind on a deep, deep level… after knowing this technique, your relationships will never be the same
- Why selling a new product can put you out of business FAST… and what rich business owners usually do instead
- How to make $75,000 to $85,000 dollars in cold-hard-cash every time you introduce the right staff to the right company
- The ONLY sustainable way to keep up with technology and fast changes in consumer behaviour – the entrepreneurs who don’t use this risk losing everything in the next 3-5 years
- How to stop hot-shot companies from stealing your staff – all while keeping your profits and your dignity
- Attracting top talent: the #1 reason a high-performer will choose to work at a small, no-name company over a big and famous one – it’s not because of the pay… it’s not because of culture… the truth may touch your heart
- And much, much more!
Full Transcript of Interview:
“Hiring Revolution” by MJS Executive Search – (Text ‘mjsearch’ to 44222 to get this book for free)
“The 4-Hour Work Week” by Tim Ferriss
“The Art Of Less Doing” by Ari Meisel
“The One Thing” by Gary Keller
“Rich On Paper, Poor On Life” by Philip McKernan
“#AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness” by Gary Vaynerchuk
“Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook” by Gary Vaynerchuk
“The Thank You Economy” by Gary Vaynerchuk
“Crush It!” by Gary Vaynerchuk
“Profit First” by Michael Michalowicz
“The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur” by Mike Michalowicz
“Tools Of Titans” by Tim Ferriss
Leverage – https://getleverage.com/
Trello – https://trello.com/
Active Inbox – http://www.activeinboxhq.com/index.php
Audible – http://www.audible.com/
Sonos – http://www.sonos.com/en-ca/home
Entrepreneurs’ Organization – https://www.eonetwork.org/
“As an entrepreneur I need to continue to be learning all the time, if I’m not learning I’m dying basically.”
“The nimbleness of a public company versus a private company can make a huge impact.”
“We need to trust our gut and look for patterns in life”
“The more companies can get access and information on their customers, the better of they’re gonna be.”