Shoulders Of Titans Podcast Interview #041 with Dana Oliver:
Dana A. Oliver is the Senior Director of Research & Development at Medtronic.
He has helped grow Medtronic’s Surgical Technologies ENT / NT division from $100 million to approximately $2 billion in annual revenues over fourteen years.
Dana is a graduate of Northeastern University and ITT Technical Institute. He has approximately 30 years of experience in the field of medical devices, working for such companies as Medtronic, Genzyme, SIMS Level 1, Kirwan Surgical, and Strichman Medical. He has applied for over 30 patent applications and has been granted over 20 US patents to date.
Dana published his first business guide book “Mantra Leadership – Don’t Become the Emperor with No Clothes!” in January 2015. His second book Mantra Design – Innovate, Buy or Die! was published in October 2015.
Dana plans to become an independent Consultant and Educator in calendar year 2016 offering expertise in Innovation Leadership and effective leadership styles. He lives in Jacksonville, FL with his wife Linda and daughter “Lexi” Alexandra.
Visit Dana Oliver’s Website: www.mantraleadership.com
Topics Discussed In This Interview:
- Discover “The 4 Foundational Backbones Of Superior Business and Leadership” that can quickly small brands into household names in 5 years or less
- The outrageous strategy used by 99% of public companies in the U.S. that may cause the biggest economic crash our generation has ever seen (some are calling this The End of America)
- How to hire “get-it-done-individuals” with pinpoint accuracy by looking for a specific trait in someone’s eyes and in their voice
- Recognizing effective leadership styles: The #1 most foolish thing stopping good leaders from becoming AMAZING leaders who are wealthy, loved and respected
- The only 3 levers in a business an entrepreneur needs to watch and control to have double digit or even triple digit growth in profits year to year – even if you’re running a billion dollar company
- How to spot an “employee-from-hell” — every business owner MUST avoid this “extremely talented, nice guy” who is destined to crumble your company overtime (and yes, this type of employee is almost always a man)
- The step-by-step guide to planting ideas into people’s heads (so they think it’s their own)… this is also known as the world’s most powerful inception technique
- How to design an “addictive company culture” so people with an employee-mindset will never want to leave
- The dirty tactic used by Apple to build “flawless products” and charge premium prices
- Why Jack Welsh is losing his title of “The Greatest CEO Of All Time” (this scary truth is becoming more and more obvious every year)
- And much, much more!
Full Transcript of Interview:
“Leadership is not hard. People just make it hard. Most great people are right before your eyes.”
“At the end of the day, if you don’t have good policy deployment, you don’t have a visual road map.”
“I do businesses no different from my competitors. I treat it like a war.”
“Your business market-share is your business’s GPS.”
“Your job as a leader is you want to pick the best people humanly possible.”
“The average company fails because they are too distracted and what I mean by that is they haven’t identified what is their few strategically important this to do.”
“Culture is a by-product of leadership.”
“A lot of leaders today they are so worried about hitting the short term objectives because they don’t want the stock price to take a hit. But what happens is they no longer begin making the long term strategic decisions that are benefit to the company.”